Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Freshman English...Not the Death of Me After All!!!


Before I begin, lets have a round of applause for Ms. Tanya Sasser! For this being my first English class at JSU that I thought I would completely dread, I actually ended up LOVING it.  I was expecting this hybrid class to be completely ridiculous, but Ms. Sasser definitely made it meaningful and worthwhile. She incorporated different methods of teaching that, overall, made learning much more effective. She also didn’t do the typical “outline,” “rough draft,” “essay” type of English class. She used blogging as an alternative which, might I say, was very effective for me personally. Because of her, my writing skills have made a drastic improvement. Let’s take a look at my progress over the past couple of months:
In my third post, COLLEGE: The Good Of It In a Nutshell, you can see where I expressed my opinion more and began to lengthen my work compared to my two previous blog posts. I went from about 260 words to nearly 700.  I also began incorporating quotes, links, and graphics from a variety of sources. And let’s not forget photo pin! I can honestly state that I was one of those people who copied and pasted images from Google onto my own work, thinking it was legal. Boy was I wrong! I learned so much about how to do things the right way instead of the “doing it just to get it done” way.
My fourth post, “You can have more degrees than a thermometer, but is college really enough?” emphasizes the fact that simply going to college and retrieving a degree is not enough to make you a successful human being. Being successful requires motivation, determination, courage, sacrifice, and a strong desire to be the best at EVERYTHING you do in life. Throughout my post I added multiple sources to support my thesis. I spoke about how the sources contributed to my claim and I even made it relatable so that people reading my post would better understand what I was saying.
                        In the article, The Case Against College Education, the dominating opinion is that college is not always enough to guarantee success now or in the future, nor does it always do the job in preparing an individual for their chosen career field.

“It is absurd that people have to get college degrees to be considered for good jobs in hotel management or accounting — or journalism. It is inefficient, both because it wastes a lot of money and because it locks people who would have done good work out of some jobs. The tight connection between college degrees and economic success may be a nearly unquestioned part of our social order. Future generations may look back and shudder at the cruelty of it.”
Throughout my fifth post, I took a more personal approach by focusing on intergeneration collaboration. I seemingly managed to connect with the audience, especially my own generation. I included vivid language and posed questions to keep the reader’s attention.
                        While reading an excerpt from the book “Share or Die: Voices of the Get Lost Generation in the Age of Crisis,” I came across one particular passage that stuck out so vividly to me. It told the story of a girl who was living in the BIG, BOLD state of New York on a $25 per week stipend from volunteering with $60,000 in debt from student loans. (Now you and I both know that this is a rare occurrence. C’mon, whom do you know that would volunteer for ONLY $25 per week? Especially in New York!) She spoke about how “society has already forcibly stamped “Generation Y” on [her] forehead, at the sight of which older generations stop and scour the floor in search of [her] pacifier.” (Is this not true? Do older generations not think of us as “innovative, but impatient,” and “smart, but selfish?” And is it also not true that we “youngsters” think of adults as incapable of even coming close to knowing how the technological world operates? Think about that for a moment………)
            …OK, moment over.

I think that my approach on making the audience feel as if they had read the book for themselves was a success.Overall, I believe that I have radically improved as a writer. My posts show for themselves that at the beginning, my writing style was more timid and non-exuberant. Now however, I have found and accepted my writing style and continue to thrive to get better throughout my English career at JSU!
Credit:
photo credit: whatmattdoes via photopin cc
 photo credit: Ken Whytock via photopin cc
photo credit: adinasullivan via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment