Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What'd You Ask? Why College?

Why College?... Well, to me, college equals FREEDOM. When I was a kid, I could never figure out why the majority of my family was always struggling and burdened by things that I was unaware of at the time. But as I grew older, things became clear to me; with the exception of my mom and one out of 10 of my aunts, no one in my family had achieved higher education outside of high school. Watching some of my cousins being taken away from the family because their parents couldn't provide a suitable living place for them because of their lack of education and money, and also seeing some of the things my family members were doing to try to survive quickly made me realize that I did NOT want to follow in their footsteps and live my life like they were living theirs. I had to find a way to become more than what I was surrounded by. So, for me, college was my way out. I chose to go to college because I figured that if I kept pushing myself, and kept striving to be better than my best, then I would get to a point in life where I could live freely, without burden, and could eventually help my family build themselves up. I strongly believe that knowledge is power, and if I were to ever come to a point in life where I lost all my possessions, I would still have my knowledge, and with it I can create a better world for myself at any time.

3 comments:

  1. Shatia, in college you sure will have your freedom to do what ever you want when you want to. But don't let that "freedom" get to you where you loose track of whats important, your education. I really do stand behind "knowledge is power" because it is with knowledge anything is possible as long as you stay focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Darius. thanks for the comment. But, by freedom, I didn't mean freedom to do the things I want in college. I meant freedom as in not being burdened by the things my family had to go through, and with an education, I won't have to do that.
      =)

      Delete
  2. Alot of kids feel that way and lose sight of why they are in school. But i believe that you will excel in school and have your freedom! :)

    ReplyDelete